Monday, May 22, 2006

SAO PAULO RED ALERT

Definetly I shall not sorry I'm not in Sao Paulo.

I don't know if you watched on TV or read on newspapers that in Sao Paulo there were many attacks from gangs at the same time last week. I didn't post last monday about it because I wanted to know what really was going on. Now I got the newspapers and talked to my family I can tell you.

Policemen, firemen and every protecting institutions (including some courts) were targeted by criminal associations in order to spread panic and fear. Statistics points to 174 people who were killed, including police officers and suspects. I read that it is a rate higher than Iraq!

But the most impressive wasn't that. Can you believe these attacks were ordered by the traffic chief who is ARRESTED? Yes, he ordered from INSIDE the jail!!! How? Simple: using a cell phone. Onde again, yes, it is now allowed, but corrupted employees and gang members' family hide the phones even inside their bodies.

The situations seems to be under control right now, but many people say this was our September 11th. A crash of public safety politics and system...