Saturday, June 10, 2006

WORLD CUP!!!! BUT..............

Hi, everyone!!!!

Finally, I'm back!! After 2 days fighting against my PC (which didn't want to work at all), I finally can talk about the World Cup Championship!!!!!!!!

Well, at least most part of it so far, since I couldn't watch the 1st Round of Group A.

Anyway, before talking about today's matches, I have a very very sad news which make this World Cup not so happy to brazilian people... If you check my post of April 18th on this blog, I wrote a quote that a popular radio narrator used to say ('and the curtain opens, brazilian crowd'). Unfortunately he passed away on Thursday... His name was Fiori Gigliotti. Here in Brazil he was a legend because he was able to participate of nothing less than 10 World Cup editions...... Rest in Peace, master!

WORLD CUP TOPIC
(Since I didn't watch the first round of Group A, I'll get my informations on Reona's blogger... Thank you, Reona!)
(And if you have any doubt about positions etc., check this website!)

1st. ROUND OF GROUP B
ENGLAND VS. PARAGUAY (1-0)
I hope England get better soon... Although I bet on 1-0 score, actually I expected a more offensive England... Maybe it's because the foward Rooney is still injured so everyone is a little worried. Paraguay, a horrible team. The only good player that is the defense man Gamarra. But he was bad luck and scored one own-goal today. Here in Brazil everybody made joke about him because he plays on Palmeiras and it is almost the last one on the classification table. But it was just a joke, after all, on 2002 edition, Gamarra was able to play the 4 matches of the first stage and didn't make ONE foul! For a defense man, it was just unbelievable!

TRINIDAD
& TOBAGO VS. SWEDEN (0-0)

I guess Sweden thought it was still a friendly game... I didn't understand this result. Well, honestly I only watched some highlights of this match so I'm not the most reliable person to be heard.

1ST ROUND OF GROUP C
ARGENTINA VS. IVORY COAST (2-1)
What a game!!!!! This one I watched from the begining to the end! Very very exciting! Everybody here in Brazil was cheering for Ivory Coast (have I told you about our rivalry against Argentina? If not, see this tv ad), but not me. After all, I bet on Argentina's victory.
Anyway, let's go to the game. Ivory Coast is a good team, but its tactic scheme is typical from a team which has only 2 or 3 good players: they attacked for both sides until the penalty area. Then it was Drogba or Kone's turn of shooting. Like this:


And that wasn't enough to beat Argentina, whose coach Jose Pekerman, on the other hand prepared a very good scheme: there were three fullback players and one of them went out to follow Drogba or Kone. Meanwhile, the three defense midfielders followed the rest of the Ivory Coast's offensive midfielders. Attacking, Argentina organized its team with Saviola and Riquelme throwing the ball to the foward man, Crespo/Palacios or to the side men, Sorín or Cambiasso in order to they cross the ball to the offensive men (foward and offensive midfielders).
Like this:

Reona: Thank you for the comment! He was very happy because everybody saluted him!